50mm f/2 as macro lens

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lenshoodie
Lenshoodie Contributing Member • Posts: 720
50mm f/2 as macro lens

I've had the 35mm f/2 WR for a few months now, and tested it in the rain last week (see 'London in the Rain' on the Documentary and Street Photography Forum) without any ill effects.  For macro I've used the 90mm with the 11mm extension tube, and it's almost up to the standard of the 80mm Macro.  On its own it's a wonderful lens, if a bit heavy and on the large side, so I took the opportunity of a second-hand 50mm f/2 WR on the grounds that if it's as sharp as the 35mm, then I'm well into bourgeois concept country.

It arrived this morning, and is light and almost as small as the 35mm with a good deep reversible hood and a lens cap that fits and stays there.  So I plugged it into the 11mm tube and went hunting spiders.  The focussing distance is about four inches with this combo, but Wasp Spiders are not easily scared.

Not bad, I thought.  But when I cropped into it:

That looks quite exceptional for a lens costing less than £300 with no pretensions to being a macro.  Who needs a Zeiss 50mm?

It works well on larger subjects too:

(This is for all those Ipswich Town fans out there.)  I couldn't stop down to f/2 for a test because even at ISO 200 the shutter speed exceeded 1/8000th.

Lenshoodie's gear list:Lenshoodie's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow