How to capture fast moving subjects moving towards the camera

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
swoof New Member • Posts: 9
How to capture fast moving subjects moving towards the camera

Hey guys, frequently when shooting subjects coming towards me I end up with out of focus front sides and in focus backsides. Occasionally things work out but I'd say I'm out of focus way more than in focus.

I could stop down for wider DoF but my goal is a more shallow look, f1.8-f4.

I've heard sometimes this is a result of not fast enough shutter speed, but this still happens at 1/2000. Is that not fast enough still?

I've noticed no real difference between setting different AF priorities, usually opting for balanced or Focus priority. Any insight here would be great. I'm shooting AF-C set to wide or center, keeping in mind wide will favor things closer and more centered I've had the best luck with it. Perhaps getting low to the grass to photograph dogs throws this off though.

How much does the AF motor in the lens come into play with this? And is there an objective way to determine if one lens will focus faster than another? Seems like it's just hearsay on message boards. For instance my 50 1.8 oss I've heard isn't as stellar with speed as the 35 1.8, but not sure how it would compare to the sigma 56 which I've heard is great. I also hear native glass usually plays better, but in the other hand there are these great sigma primes.

Finally looking at the camera-I shoot with the a6300. Would the a6400 help me out here? Or is this a lens focus speed limitation?

The other thing I've considered is that this is just the nature of the beast, photographing erratic, unpredictable, fast moving objects and I just need to snap more shots to get more keepers.

Thanks for any advice!

Would've made a nice snap if his face was focused!

Canon PowerShot A640 Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow