Sony Video Stabilization compared to Cell Phone Video

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Douglas Boyd
Douglas Boyd Contributing Member • Posts: 591
Sony Video Stabilization compared to Cell Phone Video

Am I the only one who noticed that my cell phone video (Samsung Note 8) is far smoother than video I get from any Sony camera? I have tried to make useable handheld video from A7r II, A6300, and RX100 VI. In every case I like the video from my cell phone better. The Sony video is too jerky to be useable.

Recently I was looking at a YouTube video from Sara Dietschy previewing the new RX100 VII. In this video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3598P0Ap0s -she compares Steadyshot mode with Electronic Stabilization plus Steadyshot-- a new feature added to the RX100 VII camera. Without electronic stabilization we have the typical jerkiness of all Sony cameras, but with the new electronic mode it is much better, and probably useable.

Of course my Samsung Note 8, like most smartphones even Apple versions has electronic stabilization and that appears to be the reason why the handheld video is good.

As far as I can tell, electronic stabilization is missing from the new A7r IV, and for that reason, I will probably pass on this new Sony camera.

The video reviews of Sony cameras seem to never discuss how jerky the handheld video is. Am I the only one that notices this-- and how much better smartphone video is?

-- hide signature --

==Doug

Douglas Boyd's gear list:Douglas Boyd's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6300 Sony a99 II +35 more
Sony a6300 Sony a7R II Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VI
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow