Ordered a 'kit' lens, was it the right one?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Andy Hewitt Veteran Member • Posts: 3,968
Ordered a 'kit' lens, was it the right one?

I'm going on a holiday next month, couple of weeks in Portugal for a family wedding (I'm not doing the photos though). Probably mostly going to be scenery, family snaps and local street shots.

Looking at luggage and what not, I was umming and arring over taking the D5100 at all, and just using the iPhone.

Anyway I decided I wanted to take it, but with what lens?

I have Nikons: 18-135, 35mm f1.8, and a 55-300.

The 35mm doesn't really offer any flexibility for varying circumstances, and I feel the 18-135 is just too bulk to carry around local market streets, and a bit weighty for the luggage limitations.

So, I ordered a 18-55 VRII from CEX (UK based used equipment seller, who give a two year warranty on all their goods) for £62. Not a bad price there, and cheaper than most on eBay.

They did have a full selection of these on there, but they only varied by a few pounds, so just went for the latest model - I was just lucky enough to spot that the AF-P model doesn't work on my D5100, but blimey, they're really cheap there (£38).

Just checking though, was that the best model of this lens to get for a walkaround lens for a resort area, to attach to a D5100?

The 35mm is light enough I might just bring that in anyway if I take it out at night.

You might guess, I don't go off on foreign trips all that often, and rarely have a chance to go with a reasonable camera setup.

-- hide signature --

Andy

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more
Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow