Do Fujinon XF F1.2 and F1.4 prime lenses need a 'revamp'?

Started 2 months ago | Polls thread
OP lélé Regular Member • Posts: 437
Re: Do Fujinon XF F1.2 and F1.4 prime lenses need a 'revamp'?

Victoria Marshall wrote:

Nas from the Valley wrote:

Victoria Marshall wrote:

lélé wrote:

Hello!

Fujifilm provided us with 'fast' prime lenses in the early life of the Fujifilm X system:

• Fujinon XF 16mmF1.4 R WR
  • Fujinon XF 23mmF1.4 R
  • Fujinon XF 35mmF1.4 R
  • Fujinon XF 56mmF1.2 R (APD)

Lenses with sometimes quite unique specifications.

Since, Fujifilm has made gigantic progress regarding his bodies, in particular regarding autofocus, continuous autofocus, video features (who would have guessed Fujifilm would provide a video powerhouse like the X-T3 just a few years ago?).

Fujifilm also has to fight against a strong competition, with Sony, Panasonic, Canon and Nikon which all going for FF mirrorless.

Even if I love my Fujinon primes lenses, I think some of them scream for a 'revamp'. In particular the XF 56mmF1.2 R whose optical quality is good but not great (bokeh is not very nice at the widest apertures) and it's AF motorization not suited for continuous AF, or the XF35mmF1.4 R which has a very nice rendering full open but may be better corrected and suffers from the same outdated AF motorization.

Also, with video comes new requirements like the absence of focus breathing and more discret motor noise.

What do you think?

Do you think Fujifilm needs to refresh the XF F1.2 and F1.4 lenses?

Thanks for your opinion.

Fred

No. I'm sorry, but if you bought the 56 1.2 for continuous, or even 'competitive' autofocus speeds, then you bought the wrong lens. It's a niche lens designed for portraiture.

That's why I bought the 50 f2. Much more versatile.

My 16 f1.4 is still as awesome to me as the day I bought it. It's better wide open than any Nikkor I've owned in the past, and autofocus is plenty zippy for me.

So if it is portrait lens it should be slow??? Are you serious lol

Of course all these 1.4 lenses need just a faster motor inside that's it and I'm sure it is easy for Fuji to make them but I guess they are focused more on bodies now.

For example E mount (APS-C) Sigmas are way faster. Fuji needs to stay competitive!

It's not *slow,* it's just not as fast as other lenses designed for different things.

I would say 'designed in a different time'.

This is just assumption, but:

When the Fujinon XF 56mmF1.2 R was designed, I'm pretty sure nobody was imagining that just a few years later it would be paired to a body able to identify and track a human eye and combine that ability with fast and reliable continuous autofocus. Even within Fujifilm's design teams.

They probably designed a focusing mechanism with precision in mind, using a 'classical' gear drive train.

It would interesting to find Fujifilm's interview to confirm/discard that.

Nowadays, linear motors are pretty common and, with appropriate software, precise. Plus we've got fast and reliable continuous AF and eye detection. I think design choices could be different. (And they are among competitors.)

lélé's gear list:lélé's gear list
Nikon D300 Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GKN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow