Do Fujinon XF F1.2 and F1.4 prime lenses need a 'revamp'?

Started 2 months ago | Polls thread
OP lélé Regular Member • Posts: 437
Re: Do Fujinon XF F1.2 and F1.4 prime lenses need a 'revamp'?

decaf14 wrote:

Just curious: have you used these e mount lenses before? Bokeh monsters are generally notorious for being slower because you have to move a lot of glass around.

I think the focus on the 35 is decent, but on the 60mm it is too slow. Never used the 56. Just my thoughts.

I do have a Sony A7 III and a Fujifilm X-T3 in parallel.

The Fujinon XF 56mmF1.2 R is a 85mm f/1.8 equivalent, I would call that 'a bokeh monster'. It does not have the same amount of glass to move than a full frame 85mm f/1.4 or 1.4. (Just look at the weight of these lenses!)

The Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 continuous autofocus (on the A7 III ) is way faster and more reliable than the XF 56mmF1.2 R (on the X-T3). I strongly suspect this is, as least partly, linked to the lens focusing mechanism. The Sony has two linear motors (like the ones you find in Fujinon LM lenses) as opposed to an old fashoned gear drive mechanism...

Same apply to the Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA who, despite being an older lens and not among the snappiest, beats the Fujinon XF 35mmF1.4 R in terms of autofocus speed. In terms of IQ, that's a mixed bag:  the Sony is much sharper, has a peculiar way to render the transition zone between in focus/out-of-focus which gives a lot of "pop", but can have a very nervous bokeh with a lot of onion rings and cat eyes. Both lens have very different rendering, despite being (almost) equivalent in terms of angle and DOF (for same framing and output size, wide open).

lélé's gear list:lélé's gear list
Nikon D300 Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GKN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow