HSS powerdrop and sun

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Currantos Regular Member • Posts: 212
HSS powerdrop and sun

Hello,

I am learning about and exploring using HSS and broad daylight like what I read overpowering the sun/ambient.

I am hearing very conflicting opinions about all that with some people for and against.

1. What is the general power for a flash in Watts to overpower the sun?

2. What is the drop in power in going from regular sync to HSS? Like if I have

Sv 1/250sec and I go to Sv 1/500sec do I change my Aperture from f4 to f2.8 to keep exposure constant?

Is the drop in power linear as expected, less or more? Because if more than linear then it seems one 'loses' more light than one gains in aperture opening and maybe ND filters are better?

I only had limited time to experiment with HSS on a 600W/sec flash and we were in a group and everyone tried different settings combinations but my personal results were awful. I only got gray ugly sky look and also the subject had to stay super close to the modifier to get any sort of extra light. It seems the light diminishes faster outside away from the lightsource than in the studio, like more than inverse square law, like double that. Also, softbox outside is crazy difficult because of wind.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow