Do Fujinon XF F1.2 and F1.4 prime lenses need a 'revamp'?

Started 2 months ago | Polls thread
John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 5,401
Re: Do Fujinon XF F1.2 and F1.4 prime lenses need a 'revamp'?

lélé wrote:

John Gellings wrote:

lélé wrote:

Even if I love my Fujinon primes lenses, I think some of them scream for a 'revamp'. In particular the XF 56mmF1.2 R whose optical quality is good but not great (bokeh is not very nice at the widest apertures) and it's AF motorization not suited for continuous AF, or the XF35mmF1.4 R which has a very nice rendering full open but may be better corrected and suffers from the same outdated AF motorization.

It is not the lens' fault... concentrate on photography, not lenses.

1. This is a gear sub-forum.

2. This is not the photographer's fault if the out-of-focus discs of the Fujinon XF 56mmF1.2 R looks like this:

(Source: OpticalLimits)

That's rather good, but the outlining effect at 'larges' apertures can be distracting IMO. Especially with such la ens for which a silky smooth bokeh might be a major buying point.

Some 85mm f/1.8 full frame lenses perform better in this regard, for similar price and weight. Do not be mistaken, I do think that it is quite an achievement that Fujifilm was able to design and produce a 'true' 85mm f/1.8 equivalent for an APS-C sensor. Kudos to them for that!

Of course, as a photographer:

• The bokeh won't make a good (or bad) image.
  • I can stop down a bit to reduce the outlining effect.
  • I can be more picky about the background and avoid bright highlights.
  • I can just live with that (and that's OK ).
  • I could buy the APD version, but apparently (I do have the non-APD version so I can only rely on reviews and user opinions here) it inherits some of the non-APD outlining effects...cost more and has specific drawbacks.

That said, I would consider an improvement to have more even out-of-focus discs.

3. Have you ever compared the continuous autofocus performances of the Fujinon XF 56mmF1.2 R to a more 'modern' lens? (Including the ones from Fujifilm.) It's not exactly brillant...

Who is your audience? Who do you thInk is looking at minute details in the bokeh and not the subject of the photo? I would think only other pixel peepers would care.  People do not go to museums and galleries to look at bokeh.

what are you photographing with this specialized lens that you require fast tracking? Perhaps there is a better alternative? Have you ever tried the Canon 85mm 1.2? Fast lenses like this have a lot of glass to move.

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Ricoh GR III Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GKN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow