Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 8,424
Re: 90D. Well that’s disappointing for us 7D2 users

thunder storm wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

So specs don’t seem to show dual cards or dual DIGIC, so the 90D isnt any sort of 7D2/80D compromise. It’s just an updated 80D.

indeed, no one said 90D is a replacement for 7Dmk2!

Actually it has been rumoured for months that the two lines would become one (as they used to be up to the 50D) and that the new model would therefore replace both. This could have made a lot of sense in a shrinking market, and only now do we know for sure that this is not happening.

What is the difference between two lines merging into one versus one of the two lines (eventually) not being continued?

Well, the features obviously. The 90D has a feature set which puts it firmly in the XXD range. It also falls short of the five year old 7D2 in some important respects, so it could never be considered a replacement for that.

I think it is possible it can be a replacement. You are missing a view AF-points, but obviously not the most important ones. The processing output (power*rendement) could be about the same as the 7D2. Note: the M6mkII (same Mp-count, same processor) has as faster burstrate than the 90D while dpaf might need more processing power than phase detect AF, so the 90D could have quite some processing power left for the AF system, while less AF points means less information to process compared to the 7DII. Less information is a bad thing in general, but if it is the least valuable information (only the very borders, no crosspoints, not the most precise anyway even with compatible lenses) it can be a good choice.

Shooting in high burst mode requires jpeg anyway

Why is that ?

The 7D2 does raw at 10 fps

Peter

so the pics can be back upped by sending the pics to your phone, so this could be a work around for the lack of a 2nd card slot.

Of course: the proof of the pudding is in the eating, but if the processing manages to have the speed and accuracy of the AF system to be on par with the 7DII the higher Mp count might be way more valuable than those border AF points. Those who prefer a crop camera should love a camera enabling them to crop even more.

As long as there is no 7Dmk3 there remains a possibility it will never come,

Of course.

and the rest is just semantics.

No, this is not a semantic argument at all. This is not about what the new body is called, it's about its features.

I do think there will be a 7Dmk3 though. But i don't think this 90D has so much predictive value about this.

Only that it leaves open the possibility. No more than that though.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow