FZ300 new user questions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 16,160
Re: FZ300 new user questions

mario64 wrote:

Hi all,

My FZ300 arrives Wednesday. I bought it to use on an upcoming Alaska cruise. Been doing some reading and have a few questions if someone could take time to respond

1) Are 256GB SD cards supported? I'll be gone for 8 days with no PC for download and plan to shoot 4K

It probably would but why put all your eggs in one basket. Just looking at Amaozon UK - you could buy 4 x 64GB for less than teh cost of one 256GB.

2) Is PNY Elite Performance Pro U3 a good card? Tests show a write speed around 67.3 MB/s

U3 only specified as needed for 4K video. Also, being UHS I, the card is not really future-proofed for newer and faster cameras that'll probably support UHS II.  So, if only shooting HD, do you need 256GB. Would 2 x 64GB do.  I use 64GB cards and they take some filling - and I take a lot of shots, though little video.

3) How well does this camera integrate with the Apple ecosystem? I assume I can just wirelessly transfer pictures to my iphone. Video will presumably have to be downconverted to 1080p in order to upload to icloud?

WiFi transfer is slow, I wouldn't attempt it for video and am not sure it is actually supported since the Image App doesn't support RAW transfer.  For large volumes, buy the Apple SD card reader then you can transfer what you like at best possible speed.

4) I need to shoot pictures using JPG for easy transfer to iphone? If so, any particular quality settings I should use?

Always shoot best quality Jpeg and you may need to set the camera to transfer original quality when transferring using the Image App.

5) How exactly does the GPS thing work with iphone? I have to run the app & enable GPS logging PRIOR to taking any pictures? What about after? Will it auto-tag GPS data when I transfer to iphone?

Can't help here. Never use GPS, even on the TZ60 that has built-in GPS. On a tour, the date and time EXIF is normally a very good indication of where I was.

Sorry for such a long post but I haven't been able to source answers to these questions. Thanks for any help and any other new user tips!

Have a great trip.

mario

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow