AutoFocus speed SDM vs HSM

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
telesto Junior Member • Posts: 25
AutoFocus speed SDM vs HSM

I bought a DA* 50-135 lens a few weeks ago to take pictures of my sons ice-hockey games (with my K-70), and have been quite happy with it. Before that, I had a Canon 200D and Sigma HSM 50-150 (big version, with OS), and focusing speed to me was basically the same.

Then I started reading on many forums that the 50-135 SDM is "slow" and many people recommending to get Sigma HSM for sports because it's quicker to focus. Last weekend I took both my cameras to his game, and alternated taking shots with each, and in the end, I really felt no significant difference. Yesterday I did the same in my yard taking pictures of random objects, and again, no difference. Am I doing something wrong?

I tried the 50-135 on my sons older K-x, and in good light focus speed was fine, just in low light it had trouble, but I'm pretty sure the older AF hardware on the K-x was the reason for that.

So based on my own experience, I'm very confused why so many people are saying the 50-135 is "slow" and Sigma HSM is "fast". Of course everyone's mileage may vary, but still there must be a reason ....? Maybe some SDM motors are faster/slower than others?

Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9) Pentax K-x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow