Disappointed, terrible flicker problem on A9!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
TGM1234 Regular Member • Posts: 475
Re: Great discussion. What is the practical advice?

iMacDaddyTony wrote:

TGM1234 wrote:

MILC man wrote:

TGM1234 wrote:

So, I bought the A9 a month ago (Shot Canon 1DX for the last several years) to shoot 100% sports. I would say that half of the time I shoot indoor sports (

So, two practical questions:

1) When combination of criteria can one expect to see banding?

2) What things can I do to avoid it? (shift position to a different background, lower SS, etc)

I doubt that it will be a major issue, but unfortunately you can't lower the ss to the point where it would help, afaik, and you can't make it fast enough to help either, because of the dim lighting conditions.

here is a dpr article on the issue: "Jared Polin of Fro Knows Photo released a video showing images shot with the Sony a9 and 70-200mm F2.8 GM lens that displayed visible banding across parts of the image in 2% of his shots from a recent soccer match in Philadelphia.* Here's what the banding looks like at 100%:"

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/7370859353/sony-a9-banding-reported-by-fro-fact-or-fiction

I shoe 2000 indoor volleyball images using the A9 with the 135 and 85/1.8 and not a single one had a banding issue.

I hope I get a volleyball game in this week, do you mind sharing your settings. I am really hoping the field I shot the soccer game at isn't what I will see at other fields.

Sure. Sony A9, 135m 1.8 GM and Sony 85mm 1.8, 1/1000, ISO 2500. Custom white balance set using a WhiBal card on-site. You can go to my web-site and look under volleyball to see how they turned out. Good luck!

-- hide signature --

www.tommarronphotography.com

TGM1234's gear list:TGM1234's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Sony a9 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow