Limitations of On1 Photo Raw Database or not?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Macman4789 Forum Member • Posts: 95
Limitations of On1 Photo Raw Database or not?

Hi,

I have been exploring a few new photo editors and came across On1 Photo Raw. Like a lot of the usual suspects it has many different editing tools but where it seems to differ from my perspective is how it manages photos. It doesn't catalog photos as such but uses a database and sidecar files to store photo edits and has an in built browser so you don't really 'import' photos like you do with say Lightroom.

My query is regarding this and the long term reliability of this sort of system. Initially setting it up I can see it being quite a quick and smooth system as there would be limited information/edits/metadata stored in the database but as the months/years go on and the numbers of photos and edits increase to maybe hundreds of thousands etc I can't see how this will continue to be a smooth and reliable way of managing photos? Whereas with a catalog based system this can be negated somewhat by starting a new catalog or using different catalogs for different genres of photography etc.

What are your opinions of this? Anyone have experience of using this type of database system? I might be wrong but I believe ACDsee might be a similar system?

Thanks

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow