Nikon lens advice

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Shrav New Member • Posts: 2
Nikon lens advice

Hi Everyone

I am a beginner to photography. I have a D5100 Nikon camera which I’ve been using for 8 years or so.

I want to upgrade from the kit lens as I’ll be going on a trip with some Milky Way and sunrise landscape shots.

I’ve decided on these:

-Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens - <£100 used (I realise this isn’t wide angle but the f ratio means it’s still ok for astrophotography)

-Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 - ~£150 used

-Rokinon/Samyang 14mm f/2.8 - £240 new

-Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 - <£250 used

I’ve looked up the DxOmark score and the last 3 score similar while the Nikon is 50% higher score.

I’ve been spending a few days researching and learning more but my knowledge is very lacking. I only take my DSLR out when I travel, otherwise preferring to use my iPhone XS, so I don’t want to spend a lot. Plus if I get more serious I may sell my equipment and change to a modern DSLR/mirrorless. I’d also prefer to keep the weight down as I’ll be lugging it around everywhere.

So if you were in my position which one would you pick? (Or make do with the kit lens). Please help me decide.

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: as beginner I prefer to have Autofocus (I think all the above will autofocus on my camera).

Nikon D5 Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow