Ebay strategies?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 2,787
Re: Snipping Program

BrownieVet wrote:

I stand corrected!

I never used snipping program BUT I saw it in action from a friend using it in 2015.
It might have change since then or he simply did not know how to use it. Another possibility is that my friend was using the FREE version.

You did not cover the incremental bid of Snipe software. Is it similar to eBay?

Do you mean the size of the increments? They are set by eBay and they do increase as the total value increases.

I won a lens last night. I didn't use a sniper, just put in the bid myself with about two seconds to go. The opening price was $340 and it sat there until a few minutes before the end when it went to $355, then $360, then up to $385. I originally decided my limit was $363, but I changed my mind. This of course was the emotional part at work, which sniper programs prevent, but I was comfortable that more was still good value. With two seconds to go I put in $401 and won it for that. The next highest bid - originally put in several days before, was $400.

So I won by the smallest increment. Had I put in $500 - whether manually or through a bid sniper - I would still have paid $401. Assuming the other bids were the same, that would have been the same result whether I had bid two seconds, two hours or two days before the end. The risk would have been that $400 bidder (or another) would have seen they had been outbid and put their bid up, making me lose or go higher.

What are the difference between the FREE version and the for PAY version?

I have used two or three bid snipers, only ever free (I didn't even know there were paid versions). I think paid versions let you have more snipes going at once, would be ad-free. I'm not sure about other differences.

The algorithm you described is practically identical to the autobid from eBay, specifically SET and FORGET - - - no need to monitor. As you described, Snipe is bound by the limit set by the user which is identical to Autobid.

Yes

Major difference are:
* eBay's autobid is free

True, but sniping can be free

* eBay's autobid is integrated. No need for installation

True, but understand that sniping still uses the integrated system and installation is just setting up a simple app.

* Autobid is instantaneous. . . not a few second lag.

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean when you set-up and activate the snipe? You can do this at anytime during the auction. Once set-up it will just bid at the time you select (unless there is some kind of network or server glitch, but that could also happen if you were doing it manually; I have had manual bids fail because my system was too slow).

* The user does not need to notify autobid to cancel when the limit is exceeded, but the user has the option to enter another bid and new higher limit. . . .

You can change the limit at any time before the snipe is placed. Say you set up the snipe a few days before and decide your maximum is $500. You then decide the next day that you are comfortable paying up to $550. Just change it in the app (you can change it directly in eBay in the same way, but that potentially becomes visible to other bidders - fi someone places a maximum bid of, say, $520 the price will suddenly jump up to that, then instantly to your bid at $525 or whatever the increment is).

You can cancel the snipe at anytime if you change your mind about buying the item, find another one in the meantime or whatever. Just deactivate the snipe. It is more cumbersome to cancel if you have already put your maximum bid directly into eBay.

How does Snipe user notified the user?

It will notify you of the outcome once the snipe bid has been placed. That might be advise that your snipe was successful (which usually means you won, but not if another bid higher than yours comes in after - eg, if you set-up your snipe to bid with 5 seconds to go, but someone else put on a higher one at 3 seconds to go). Or it might advise you it was unsuccessful (eg,because bidding had exceeded your maximum in the meantime).

What happen if the user ignored SNIPE message?

Nothing, because usually you have set-up the snipe too late to do anything else. If you set it up for, say, one minute from the end you could see it had failed and you might be able to sneak in another bid before the end if you wanted (but that kind of defeats the purpose).

Do the user need to run and constantly monitor the program?

No. The whole idea is to set and forget. The programs are really useful if you know you will be asleep or away from your computer/device or doing something else at the time the auction ends - just set the snipe at any time and check later to see whether you won or not.

Of course we all have our preferences. For me, I prefer to have one integrated system that is FREE, than have another (third party) specially if I have to pay extra.

Mackiesback wrote:

Because that is not how sniping software works. At all. That's not even sniping if it is passive, and nobody would sign up for that. Every sniping program I have used, you enter a max dollar amount you are willing to bid as you set up the snipe, and it will bid for you with a few seconds remaining, time depending if you are using a free version or a paid version. If someone has exceeded the max bid you put into the sniping software well in advance of the staged sniping bid, the sniping software program will let you know. It then gives you the option to cancel the snipe or raise your max dollar amount. If sniping services existed as you described, well, they wouldn't actually exist. What you are describing is useless, and makes me question whether you ave actually used a sniping service before.

The major benefit of sniping software, other the convenience of not having to babysit an auction, is that nobody on the planet knows you are interested in the item. Not only do they not know, they don't have the time and opportunity to rationalize and decide to outbid you. That is the entire strength of sniping programs. With you using eBays autobid, you are shouting your interest to the world, which is a great way to get outbid.

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Nikon D50 Canon EOS 500D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow