Are these 600mm f/4 GM build quality issues?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TigTillinghast Regular Member • Posts: 421
Are these 600mm f/4 GM build quality issues?

Got a 600mm f/4 GM today. Image quality is better than my Canon 500mm F/4 II (by a little). But there are two issues that I'm not sure are actual build quality issues.

1) The knob that tightens the ring that holds the lens foot (allowing you to go horizontal to vertical) flexes the ring when it is tightened just enough to arrest the ring's movement. This means that when tightened down, the ring becomes a very slightly oval shape, and you can see a gap open up where dirt can get in. There doesn't appear to be anything obviously wrong with the parts... just that it's flexing much more than perhaps the may have intended. Perhaps that is the cost of the massive weight loss? I've shot with perhaps a dozen Canon big whites and this is new to me. I can say it looks quite wrong.

2) The silver badge on top of the lens that functions as a blingy nameplate appears to be slightly wider than intended, such that when it is screwed down on all four corners, as it comes, it does not sit flush with the lens, but rather flexes in tension with a visible space beneath it. I can see daylight under the badge. As this is sure to be a dirt trap, I've put grip tape over it entirely. The badge serves no function but to scare away birds I might photograph, but it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy to find these issues in the first minute after having drawn it from the box.

I would be especially interested in hearing from other users of the 600mm f/4 GM to see if my copy is an anomaly. Thanks.

TigTillinghast's gear list:TigTillinghast's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Sony a7R IV +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow