FZ300 new user questions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,568
Re: FZ300 new user questions

mario64 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. This is an anniversary trip not a dedicated wildlife trip. One of the main things which attracted me to the FZ300 was the water and dust resistance as it is known to rain frequently in Alaska. Plus this camera gets great reviews overall. Is there another model I should consider instead? Definitely don't want anything bulkier or without some sort of weather protection

Am I reading correctly that 256GB cards aren't supported? That's a bummer. However, if 4K video really is no better then I'll just shoot at, what, 1080/60? Or would 30fps be preferred?

In theory, they should be supported. I imagine none were available when the FZ300 came out.

Note, in terms shooting 4K, the manual says that a 64GB card will only hold 1 hour and 20 minutes when recording 4K. That means a 256GB card will only hold 5 hours of video. But be prepared to edit the video, as I doubt anybody will want to sit through 5 hours.

Regarding GPS, I watched a video which indicated you have to run the app continually in the background with logging enabled. That's fine I guess but the guy didn't say anything about battery drain. Does it impact battery life on your phone very much?

Dunno, but using the GPS on my phone at all such as when I'm driving drains the battery (I have an older Samsung Galaxy S5).

In terms of increasing zoom, there are 3 options:

• i.zoom: I believe this does an in camera crop, trading resolution for image size;
  • digital zoom: In camera conversion (2x or 4x). IMHO, digital zoom is pretty bad on Panasonic cameras;
  • Use an external tele-converter (DMW-LA7 + DMW-LT55 or similar). This gives you a 1.7x increase in focal length.
 Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow