Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
PhotoTeach2 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,599
Re: Read the Thread

Mackiesback wrote:

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

Mackiesback wrote:

JakeJY wrote:

BrownieVet wrote:

I have been using eBay's "autobid" for years. I don't wait for the last minute to enter my bid. For example:

An item appears with asking price of $500, remaining time is 5 days, current bid is $10.01 with suggested bid of $12.34. I am interested and willing to pay up to $423.02 . . .
I enter $12.34 and then my limit of $423.02 - at the first minute of the listing.
$12.34 will be displayed as the current bid. My limit of $423.02 will not show.
I don't bother with it anymore.
Anyone who manually enters bid lower than $423.02 will see the live message of being outbid. For the purpose of discussion, assuming autobid is incremented 5%, someone entered $100, the live message will be displayed along with my current bid of say $105.
eBay's autobid will repeat the process - - - applying only the % increase over anyone's manually entered bid. Assuming someone entered $299.99 one second before closing, my winning bid will be $330 not $423.02. eBay will notify me by email.

Anytime someone bids over $423.02, eBay notify me by email for an option to make another bid. I ALWAYS decline.

Right, I'm not disputing this progress, but the issue is if you enter say $423.02 at first minute, you give plenty of time for someone to "test" your max bid (I see this happen all the time in auctions, someone goes up slowly until they get right past the max bid).

Even if you enter it at the last minute (but with enough time for someone to change their max bid), people entering a different lower bid (for example $420) will get a notification that they need to increase max bid to win. People in the heat of the moment many times will do so.

This makes it so that for an auction you would have won with your $423.02 max bid, you would lose because you put in the bid too early and gave other people chances to either test or change their mind about their max bid.

The Wikipedia page on auction sniping actually covers all the logic behind this strategy:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auction_sniping

If A enters $90 after B enters $100, B still wins at $91, because A is too late for a human response to the eBay notice to increase max bid.

The $91 is ONLY if B use eBay's autobid, otherwise, B is hooked for $100.

If A was using sniper program/app, it would play out the same way. No matter if A comes before B or B comes before A, B will win as long as it is too late for a human response to notification to increase max bid. B does not need a computer program to accomplish this and at no point does a computer program's superior response time come into play. All the computer program adds is convenience for B, so there isn't a need to monitor the end of auction.

Bottom line - sniper program is a third party system that only monitors and advice the user. The user still NEED to MANUALLY enter the bid. I don't know about you, why use a third party that is passive instead of the FREE eBay built-in autobid that is active and offers overbid protection, when properly deployed. BTW, the use may turn-off her/his autobid anytime.

Because that is not how sniping software works. At all. That's not even sniping if it is passive, and nobody would sign up for that. Every sniping program I have used, you enter a max dollar amount you are willing to bid as you set up the snipe, and it will bid for you with a few seconds remaining, time depending if you are using a free version or a paid version. If someone has exceeded the max bid you put into the sniping software well in advance of the staged sniping bid, the sniping software program will let you know. It then gives you the option to cancel the snipe or raise your max dollar amount. If sniping services existed as you described, well, they wouldn't actually exist. What you are describing is useless, and makes me question whether you ave actually used a sniping service before.

The major benefit of sniping software, other the convenience of not having to babysit an auction, is that nobody on the planet knows you are interested in the item. Not only do they not know, they don't have the time and opportunity to rationalize and decide to outbid you. That is the entire strength of sniping programs. With you using eBays autobid, you are shouting your interest to the world, which is a great way to get outbid.

Exactly ... I can't see using that at all.

Of the other programs you mentioned, (where your "secret" until last second), which of those do you recommend as easiest and most reliable ???

https://www.auctionstealer.com/

Thank You .... (but have a feeling I may now hate myself --- because I do NOT "need" anything anymore).

I settled on this one. Click on information and choose the WinPoints, where you pay a small commission on only the auctions you win, and you get all the features of the system. There is a free version that has very few benefits, and a $10 a month version if you are a power user.

If however A's max bid was $110 all along, A will win regardless of how late B enters $100. I don't believe PhotoTeach is talking about winning in this scenario.

Boils down to the autobid LIMIT set by the user, regardless of timeline.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow