Can Fuji match Nikon for BIF?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Makingtrax Contributing Member • Posts: 715
Can Fuji match Nikon for BIF?

I took the 100-400m and the XT-3 to the Gigrin farm in mid-Wales where they throw offal into the fields to attract the wild kites. Not a good time of year, they are moulting and look a bit less majestic. It was £22 to go in the photographic hide where a couple of friendly Nikon D500 shooters had their DSLRs and long lenses on gimbals because of the weight. I was free to shoot hand held. Sadly it was a rainy day and the weather made shooting very difficult with white skies and high ISOs.

Having been a landscape and portrait shooter most of my life, I’m new to BIF. It’s fair to say that this is the sharp end of photography where you have to think fast and trust the gear

This is what I learnt:

1 Auto ISO is useless unless you have DR set to 100. Even then as the birds fly over different terrain/backgrounds the camera is making its own decisions, and I’m playing with the Comp dial like a maniac.

2 The lens is very sharp all through the range, any misses were my fault and not the hardware.

3 Used AFC in Custom 6 with 0,2, Auto as recommended by Alan Hewitt on here and it worked well. Thanks Alan.

4 Switched between 3x3 and 6x6 and the latter locked on better and gave me more success. The eyes were quite sharp.

5 Tried IS on and off and found ON to be better.

6 Had better success when the shutter speed was 1/2000+ but that may down to be my technique.

7 The lens on 5m to infinity with boost mode on and the lens is much faster to focus as you might expect.

8 Took over 400 shots before I needed to change battery. Still unsure about getting a grip.

9 The aperture ring is a pain and I kept knocking it as I zoomed in and out until I was aware what I was doing. Was thinking next time I might be able to stop this by changing the aperture to the front dial.

At the end they were interested in the Fuji and we compared shots. I may be new to BIF but mine looked just as sharp as the ones taken with their weighty gear!

Close up

About to dive

Against the foliage

Against the grass

-- hide signature --

Steve

Makingtrax's gear list:Makingtrax's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow