Do you need focal length range?

Started 1 month ago | Polls thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 54,695
Do you need focal length range?

I see a lot of people dismiss compact cameras with zoom lenses in favor of common cell phone cameras, fixed lens cameras with zoom lenses in favor of fixed lens cameras with primes, and the whole idea of carrying a range of lenses for your ILCs.  This confuses me so I thought I'd start a simple poll of what you regularly use as far as focal length range goes.

All are expressed in 35mm-equivalent terms.

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
POLL
I'm fine with a fixed 28/35/40/50. I don't need a range of focal lengths (I may even prefer not having a range of focal lengths).
12.4% 18  votes
I need a range of focal lengths but something modest like 24-70 or so is sufficient for most of my needs.
17.2% 25  votes
I need a good range of focal lengths, but something like the "holy trinity" that includes 16-200 is plenty.
25.5% 37  votes
I need tons of focal length range and regularly use a huge range of focal lengths that may include extreme wide (11-12mm rectilinear or fisheye) or very long telephoto (or both).
44.8% 65  votes
  Show results
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow