Considering the switch to Capture One

Started Aug 20, 2019 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jslade797 Regular Member • Posts: 263
Considering the switch to Capture One

As a longtime LR user I've been curious about Capture One, so downloaded the Pro version on a 30-day trial. I've been playing around with various images and have compiled a list of Pros and Cons from my limited experience so far.

I'd really appreciate any more experienced C1 users adding to the list as it might be useful for anyone else considering switching, especially as I haven't been able to get really deep into the feature set at this point.

This isn't intended as a thread to get into another furious argument about worms (!) but to look at the practical implications of moving to C1 & the benefits/disadvantages of the differing design philosophies of Adobe and Phase One.

Here's what I have so far, on the basis of a couple of days' use:

Pros

• Ultimately superior desmosaicing & final image quality in most cases
  • Easier colour grading through the Colour Balance tool - control of midtones as well as shadows & highlights
  • Seems to run significantly faster than LR
  • Easy-to-use tool for fine control of skin tones
  • Use of layers probably a better system, on balance

Cons

• Loss of existing presets & fewer free/inexpensive options available
  • Loss of dehaze tool - not a massive problem for dehazing itself but I'm finding it hard to add subtle haze, which is a common part of my workflow
  • Lack of comprehensive History
  • Brush a bit awkward - much prefer being able to control size with mouse wheel

Any additions or suggestions gratefully received!

Jonathan

-- hide signature --

Instagram - @jontyslade

jslade797's gear list:jslade797's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-T2 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EMV
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
jfw
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow