Ultra-wide lens for APS-C

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
2ndact scene1 Regular Member • Posts: 230
Re: Ultra-wide lens for APS-C

I have not been satisfied with the very poor corners on the 10-18mm for a long time.  Sometimes it is not a big problem but I see it in many of my wide angle images.

I do some architectural/documentary photography as part of a volunteer team for a preservation organization. The poor performance of my copy of the 10-18mm  was painfully obvious when compared to images taken by other team members.  So this summer, I bought a canon 24-70mm f4 for my 6D.  I believe 24mm will be sufficient for the preservation shoots and it performed admirably at a couple of events I shot this month.  It is not ultra wide but it covers what I need.

So for now my main needs are handled.  However, I still would like a travel camera with a wide angle zoom.  But there just are not many wide angle prime and zoom options for Canon crop sensor DSLR bodies.

I am holding off on any new camera purchases right now, but a good option might be the canon EOS M line of gear, which includes the efm 11-22mm lens. This lens has a very good reputation and is reasonably priced.  It also has the added advantage of going to a 35mm equivalent maximum focal length,  which for me adds to its appeal.  I will look at other mirrorless options too but the 11-22mm lens is a strong draw for the canon M series.

2ndact scene1's gear list:2ndact scene1's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow