New camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,986
Re: New camera

KShaneH wrote:

n057 wrote:

KShaneH wrote:

I've had a Canon 550d since it came out and am currently looking to upgrade to something newer. Am I wasting my time looking at Canon (77D) or Nikon (7500D) APS-C cameras? I keep reading here about how they are abandoning the APS-C DSLR format in favor of FF mirrorless. I like the smaller, lighter cameras and lenses (not to mention I can't really afford the whole FF schema), but am a bit worried I'll be buying a system for which an updated lens will never be made.

What do you mean, "an updated lens"? Which lens are you worried about? In the Nikon world, if you get a "DX" lens (which you call "APS-C"), it will fit and work on both DX and FX ("FF in your lingo), although on FX there are some limitations on whet you see in the viewfinder. If you get an FX lens, it will work on both. There are literally hundreds of available lenses, both Nikon brand and third party.

And so far, Nikon has already released FX mirrorless cameras that work with non-mirrorless lenses with an adapter (again with some limitations), and rumors have it that they will also release DX mirrorless cameras, presumably they will keep a system that works with both FX and DX lenses.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

Well, when I bought the 550D, the 18-135 was new and was replaced many years later by a newer version (18-135STM) that is generally regarded as sharper and faster focusing. So, I'm assuming over the next 10 years, technology and manufacturing advances will make better lenses possible, and so was thinking of what happens if my new camera company stops making new lenses. I get there is a lot of good stuff out there now. Adapters might help, but I'm not sure existing DX lenses will work on the newer FF mirrorless?

KSH

At this point, since Nikon has not released their plan for DX mirrorless, we can only assume that those will use the same mount as FX mirrorless, in which case your existing DX lenses will work.

Nikon has gone to great lengths to keep some compatibility in their lens mount. Canon APS-C lenses do not fit on Canon FF cameras, although you can use Canon FF lenses on APS-C cameras, Nikon has decided to use the same mount for FX and DX.

There is only one mount for Nikon DSLR cameras, the "F" mount. Generally speaking Nikon DX lenses fit and work in FX cameras, and Nikon FX lenses fit and work on DX cameras. This is both a blessing and a curse, because as a result Nikon did not bother to deliver too many DX lenses, since FX lenses work very well.

The mirrorless cameras have a new mount, called the "Z" mount. In order to use existing "F" mount lenses, Nikon put out an FTZ ("F" To "Z") adapter. Put that on your mirrorless, and then you can mount all your existing "F" mount lenses on the new camera. With some limitations. Generally speaking though, you are not left high and dry.

The only thing is, after a few years, do not expect Nikon to come out with newer "F" mount lenses. Their plan is to go with "Z" mount, with an adapter so your existing "F" mount can still be used.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow