RF lenses and the future

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Fergus Ferguson Junior Member • Posts: 42
RF lenses and the future

So EF-s lens development seems to be dead, and EF would seem to be on life support. Then we have RF.

The RF seem to be mainly heavier than EF or EF-s, they are very expensive, and are exclusively for the R series bodies only. A big heavy expensive lock-in.

If you wanted to buy into a system today, but can't afford RF prices, and the EF and EF-s series seem to have been totally abandoned, where would you go? EF-M, or somewhere else like Sony that seems to be innovating and adaptable.

The 90D comes out in a few days. I have a low shutter count 70D that I wouldn't mind replacing, but the specs aren't that compelling for what I do.

I tested my 1980 build FD 200mm f2.8 against my 55-250mm IS USM and brand new 70-300mm IS II, and it smoked both of them indoors for sharpness (Outside it isn't that good).

I have four EF-s lenses, two were kits, one was a cheap second hand pancake, and the other was the wide angle 10-18mm that I bought for a specific trip, and have only used a few times. I don't want to buy into a dead lens line. No more EF-s for me.

I am feeling like I don't really have a path to follow. I was just given the 70-300mm as a gift, and my wallet is sitting next to me, but there is nothing that I really want to buy for the prices that they are demanding.

Canon has said that they are going for profit maximization with the RF line. I am wondering if they are putting all their eggs into a very small and way too expensive basket while people like me are left wanting. There are a bunch of small companies throwing out cheap, sharp, fun lenses, but Canon seems to think that you need to drop $1k for one lens just to get an invite to the party.

Fergus Ferguson's gear list:Fergus Ferguson's gear list
Canon PowerShot A95 Canon PowerShot G7 Kodak DC280 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 20D +25 more
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow