New camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP KShaneH New Member • Posts: 10
Re: New camera

n057 wrote:

KShaneH wrote:

I've had a Canon 550d since it came out and am currently looking to upgrade to something newer. Am I wasting my time looking at Canon (77D) or Nikon (7500D) APS-C cameras? I keep reading here about how they are abandoning the APS-C DSLR format in favor of FF mirrorless. I like the smaller, lighter cameras and lenses (not to mention I can't really afford the whole FF schema), but am a bit worried I'll be buying a system for which an updated lens will never be made.

What do you mean, "an updated lens"? Which lens are you worried about? In the Nikon world, if you get a "DX" lens (which you call "APS-C"), it will fit and work on both DX and FX ("FF in your lingo), although on FX there are some limitations on whet you see in the viewfinder. If you get an FX lens, it will work on both. There are literally hundreds of available lenses, both Nikon brand and third party.

And so far, Nikon has already released FX mirrorless cameras that work with non-mirrorless lenses with an adapter (again with some limitations), and rumors have it that they will also release DX mirrorless cameras, presumably they will keep a system that works with both FX and DX lenses.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

Well, when I bought the 550D, the 18-135 was new and was replaced many years later by a newer version (18-135STM) that is generally regarded as sharper and faster focusing.  So, I'm assuming over the next 10 years, technology and manufacturing advances will make better lenses possible, and so was thinking of what happens if my new camera company stops making new lenses.  I get there is a lot of good stuff out there now.  Adapters might help, but I'm not sure existing DX lenses will work on the newer FF mirrorless?

KSH

KShaneH's gear list:KShaneH's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow