compare Tamron 24-70 G2 with Sigma 18-300 ( or Nikon 18-300)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Martin Pollack Forum Member • Posts: 59
compare Tamron 24-70 G2 with Sigma 18-300 ( or Nikon 18-300)

I shoot  with Nikon D500 mostly landscape and wildlife in RAW. I typically print at 16 x 20.

I have used a Nikon 18-200  and felt less than satisfied with sharpness so went to Tamron 24-70  and have to switch lenses for even that change in distance. The Tampon is heavy  & bulkier and I miss the versatility  I get from a bigger range and not having to change lenses. When traveling , I find it difficult to carry all the equipment--weight and  bulkiness..

So--- I am considering a newer & seemingly well respected Sigma 18-300 that some say provides excellent sharpness and eliminates all the weight  ( about ¾ lb) plus more manageable size and no need for  multiple lenses.  Clearly i would lose the 2.8 aperture  for a 3.5 but ...

Will I  really notice the difference in sharpness  for prints if I switch the Tamron for  an 18-300,  either Nikon or Sigma?

The Sigma 18-300 is only $400. The Nikon in that same configuration is about $627. Both are rated at 4.5 so if the convenience does not degrade the outcome too much,  is the Nikon really worth the extra $ 227. ?

Has anyone actually directly compared these?

I appreciate some guidance on these decisions from some experienced sources.

Nikon D500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow