Ouch! Baby needs a new shutter (A77ii)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 4,964
Ouch! Baby needs a new shutter (A77ii)

The shutter (~35K clicks) on my A77ii gave it up a few days ago. There doesn't seem to be any big scratches or gouges on the sensor:

After filling out their form and including photos of the problem, I received the following repair estimate via email from Sony-authorized Photo Tech camera repair in NYC:

"We are Sony authorized and perform these repairs commonly. A repair for this issue and cleaning internally is considered a full overhaul repair and the cost for this is between $355 to $485 depending how many parts involved. A technician would perform an exact estimate within 2 business day and our repair turn around time is currently 7-10 working days providing we have all parts in stock. The repairs would come with a warranty and technicians are Sony trained and only use Sony original parts.

Email estimate is subject to re-estimate upon internal inspection, prices are subject to change. Prices are in addition to shipping and local taxes if applicable"

Having a shutter failure at 35K clicks is really disappointing, but as long as Photo Tech's overhaul doesn't find additional problems ~$500 is doable for me. I see Encompass currently has a shutter and even a whole mirrorbox in-stock. I might ask them to replace the top plate switch blocks too.

I'm currently shooting with A99ii and back-up A77.

I'll wait on repairs until Sony's rumored announcement of two new APS-C E-mount cameras at the end of August. This might complicate the decision - Sony always does this to me at exactly the right time.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony a7 II +33 more
Sony a77 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow