Sony ProSupport & A-mount: Happy Ending Story

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alan_S
Alan_S Senior Member • Posts: 1,840
Sony ProSupport & A-mount: Happy Ending Story

I recently had a pleasant outcome to what I thought was a disastrous fall from a tripod (1st time in more than 40 years of handing photo gear!). When I apparently failed to securely mount the plate to the tripod head, A99II + Zeiss 24-70 hit the pavement and the mount broke away from the camera body. As a Sony Pro Support member I called them right away; the initial response was not reassuring as I was told TWICE in that conversation that A-mount parts may not be available (seems the death of A-mount is alive and well there too, but in 2016 low-level reps were just as surprised as everyone else when the A99II was announced, so not at all surprised they are clueless to actual ongoing support of A-mount, especially in a current production model). However, they e-mailed me a pre-paid overnight FedEx label to get both lens and camera to Precision for evaluation. Called back to request a loaner and received the same A-mount moaning, "likely not available" but the rep said he'd go ahead and put in the request. Within a few minutes I received an e-mail from Lensrentals.com with FedEx tracking and the loaner A99ii was delivered in 24 hrs!
Camera & lens reached the repair facility in 24 hrs and they kept me updated with daily phone calls & emails. Parts were ordered and turn around for the entire ordeal was just over two weeks (10 days for the body, a bit more for the lens). Mirror box and mount was replaced in the A99II, zoom barrels replaced in the lens. The total repair for lens & body (after my 20% ProSupport membership discount) was $713.50 (438.30 a99ii + 275.20 SAL2470ZA). My insurance also covered, minus the deductible. Precision even installed the new firmware in the A99II (don't know I would have ever taken the time). The aging 24-70za, version 1, is like new now, actually they both are. Couldn't be happier with this experience. The $100 membership was well worth its cost, as the round-trip overnight shipping alone would have cost me more than that, not to mention discounted repairs, priority service (have read of others waiting much longer without ProSupport membership), & the loaner (also shipped both ways pre-paid). Membership also includes 4 cleanings per year, which I've never taken advantage of. I'll be sending my second A99II in now for that (plus evaluation for an overheating issue I get with that body).

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow