Ultra-wide lens for APS-C

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
JoWinter Forum Member • Posts: 94
Re: Ultra-wide lens for APS-C

I own the EF-S 10-18 and use it on the M6. I'm actually rather pleased with it. Your posting promted me to re-read the reviews by Bryan Carnathan (of the Digital Picture) and Ken Rockwell and I also watched the video review by Chris Frost again. (All are easy to find online.) Of course I de know what you mean exactly when you write " the image quality is just meh to me" but none of these three reviews sounds so negative. Of course, they all account for the fact that it's a rather cheap APS-C zoom lens. Perhaps importantly, the review by Bryan Carnathan does not come up with a better alternative in this same class.

My take is it: If this lens is not good enough for you, then perhaps you should consider moving to full frame and expect to spend four times as much on an UWA zoom lens (say, the Canon EF 16-35 f/4 L) or maybe more. At a minimum, you should expect to spend almost three times as much on the Tokina 11-20 f/2.8, risking the compatibility problems mentioned in the post above. And not everyone thinks that this lens is better than the EF-S 10-18, see Ken Rockwell again.

Also, I cannot resist quoting from Ken Rockwell's review of the EF-S 10-18:

"It's the least skilled hobbyists who waste the most time blaming fuzzy pictures on their lenses, while real shooters know that few photos ever use all the sharpness of which their lenses are capable due to subject motion and the fact that real subjects are rarely perfectly flat. This Canon 10-18 is extremely sharp throughout all of the image at every setting. It's super-sharp wide open, while diffraction will dull the image at the smallest apertures."

P.S. Yes, I know that Ken Rockwell is controversial but when it comes to purchase decision, I value his reviews together with those others mentioned above a lot.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow