Lens advice for Sony a6400 for family and travel

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
iceskating_uphill New Member • Posts: 3
Lens advice for Sony a6400 for family and travel

Hi

I’ve just got into photography after a short photography course. I’ve got the bug! I have bought an a6400 which I’ve had for a couple of months, with the kit 16-50 lens. I’ve also been able to borrow the Sigma 16mm and 30mm lenses.

Most of my pictures are out and about with the kids, but I’ve managed to get some genuinely lovely (IMO) shots of them with the Sigma lenses. Of course, I’ve also missed shots because I couldn’t zoom in or out in time. The Sony kit lens has always seemed a bit dull - pictures are fine, but not wow, like the ones I feel the primes give me. (At 16mm the corners are quite distorted but I understand that’s par the course with basic zooms.)  Of course it’s all relative, I’m very much just starting out and I’m sure they are all pretty average!

I’m thinking about putting £500-£600 into a new lens (or lenses). Would the Sony 18-135 be a good investment or would I be better off learning how to use primes? Like I said, it’s mostly kids running about and days out and so on, but I’d like to be able to get some more ‘artistic’ shots too. I don’t know if the 18-135 is well suited to the later, or if that’s just a skill think I need to learn?

Many thanks for any advice given.

Canon PowerShot A640
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow