Choosing a new (bridge?) camera setup for videos.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,047
Re: Choosing a new (bridge?) camera setup for videos.

Thom_vee wrote:

Last week I sold my A550 body and all the lenses except the 500 mm f8 reflex lens, a Minolta 100mm f2.8 Macro lens with the intention of either one of the below:

1. Replace the A550 with an A68 body with video. Continue with the above lenses.
  2. Replace it with a Sony a6500 mirrorless body, get an Amount to E-mount adapter.
  3. Replace it with a Nikon P1000 (with maybe a Raynox DCR-250 diopter lens) which seems to do great in providing spectacular focal lengths for birding and also great macro capabilities as an All-in-one package that does not need lens changing.

With option 1 (and 2) I continue the handicap of having to lug around multiple lenses and the bulk of the camera. Also it doesnt have the optical image stabilization that could help greatly with Macro videos.

My comment is only about Option 1 & 2. Is that some generic manual focus 500mm f/8 reflex lens or the Sony/Minolta 500mm f/8 reflex with AF?

The Sony website does have a Lens Compatibility page for the A68 for Sony & Minolta lenses. There's some compatibility notes that look inconsequential to me but may be important to you.

There is a similarLens Compatibility page for the A6500. The compatibility notes look like there are more severe consequences.

I'm not understanding your "doesn't have the optical image stabilization" comment. The A68 does use electronic stabilization during video recording (for still-images the A68 will use sensor-based Steady Shot just like your A550). The A6500 has 5-axis sensor stabilization built-in so it probably does have stabilized video (only 3 axes are used with non-stabilized lenses). My understanding is they work OK for slow panning motion.

Only the LA-EA4 A-to-E mount adapter has a screw-drive. It's built-in SLT-type focus system is rather old. The Sony APS-C E-mount forum will have better guidance for adapting A-mount lenses to E-mount.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony a7 II +33 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow