Advice about BIF combination D500

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
arniebook Senior Member • Posts: 1,154
Re: Advice about BIF combination D500

N Deacon wrote:

lokatz wrote:

larrywilson wrote:

I think maybe you need another monitor. To my eyes the bif shot is plenty sharp especially for printing. I do print up to 13 X 19 and have printed this image.

Maybe you did not share the original shot here? A 2000x1334 image printed at 13x19? At a pixel density of 105px/inch, where 150 is barely ok and 300+ is what you really want for a sharp print? You would have to be kidding!

I repeat: nothing is really sharp in the image you shared. If you shared a scaled-down version of a sharper shot, what's the point?

I don't want to get into a which lens is best argument as my lens of choice for this purpose is not in this list. I do, however, want to comment on the above (clipped)discussion. When viewed on my 4k screen the image Larry posted is sharp when viewed at its actual size (download the jpeg, open in an image viewer), but when viewed in a browser via the DPR viewer looks pretty awful because the DPR "100% zoom" is nothing of the sort - it enlarges the image way beyond 100% to the point of making perfectly good images look awful - at least on my setup. It's a problem with the viewer that I have flagged up in the past.

+1 ... I downloaded it, and it looks at least as sharp as my best 200-500 images.

I think any of these lenses will satisfy.   I met a guy this summer who had a Sigma 60-600 on a Canon mirrorless, and he was loving it! ...

Mostly it has to do with technique (and opportunity).  Get what you can handle price wise and muscle wise, and start using it!

Arnie

-- hide signature --

What we spend on this stuff is equal to the depth of our pockets squared ($²) times what we (j)ustify in our minds as to what we expect to do with our pictures plus (+) the (e)njoyment we experience from using our stuff and sharing the result ... $xxxx=$²(j+e )

arniebook's gear list:arniebook's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow