A7R3 or A9

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DrMaestro88 Junior Member • Posts: 26
A7R3 or A9

Hi,

This seems to be a very popular question and I am trying to make up my mind.

I generally use cameras while I am travelling touristically, so that means shooting landscapes, buildings, people, wildlife.

A7R3 and A9 both seem to be very good mirrorless cameras. The emphasis for A9 seems to be its autofocus system, no black-out EVF, and high speed shooting capability. For a traveller, I assume this would be especially good for wildlife photos.

The emphasis for A7R3 seems to be its higher resolution, dynamic range and of course price. High resolution has tha advantage of allowing a higher flexibility in cropping (which doesn't really replace the need for telephoto lenses but can be quite helpful) but generates bigger files.

Now, there seems to be 2 camps: Those who really like A9 swear by how superior its autofocusing system is, which can allow more in-focus (i.e. usable) photos and insist that higher megapixels are not worth a thing if the image is not in focus. Also, no black-out EVF seems to be an advantage. Those who really like the A7R3 tell that it is a better all-around camera (can be used for all kind of purposes) and the croppability and higher dynamic range provide very nice pictures.

The price difference is around 1000 USD, which is quite a lot.

My question (and dilemma): For a tourist, does it make sense to go for the A9 or the A7R3 would be more advantegous?  Is the difference in autofocusing capabilities so high that A7R3 becomes useless in a "touristic" frame.

(Note: I use a Nikon D7000 and have never been happy with its autofocusing, despite using focus fine-tuning, so maybe I had a unit with the back-focusing problem. I assume that the autofocusing in either Sonys would be far better compared to it).

Thanks.

Nikon D7000 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow