Pen-F - my first week with it

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BurnImage
BurnImage Regular Member • Posts: 130
Pen-F - my first week with it

Since selling all my Nikon FF gear at the end of last year and reinvesting the proceeds in Olympus I have been very happy indeed. The EM1-2 with 12-100, 7-14 and a couple of pro primes are the nuts and bolts of my kit. However, I'm one of those who is really drawn to the Pen-F as a 2nd body for the following reasons:

1. I only shoot Raw normally and PP but I'm one of those who "gets" the Pen-F colour wheel and it's the only camera that makes me actually want to shoot Jpeg (although I've set mine to Jpeg SF plus Raw "just in case")
2. It's so sexy!
3. It's the ultimate street and "city break" camera to me, especially as I'm already invested in top of the line Olympus glass.
4. I find the Pen-F to complement the EM1-2 rather than replace it by its more compact nature and the fun factor!
5. I differ from many in so much as my intended use for the Pen-F is with my 17mm and 45mm 1.2 pro primes, as opposed to the smaller 1.8/1.7 lenses. That said I have picked up an Oly 25mm 1.8 with this camera in mind. Whilst not my favourite FL it "fills a gap" between the 17mm and 45mm Pro primes and gives me a small and discrete lens option too.

So I pulled the trigger a week ago and had my first street/walkabout shoot yesterday. Here are my observations:

1. I'm using the larger pro primes and felt a grip was needed. I found a third party version of the ECG4 grip on Amazon and to my surprise I actually find it to be far superior to the official Olympus version for 3 reasons. Firstly, it has a captive screw which you can't lose. Secondly, it feels more ergonomically comfortable to me. Thirdly, it has a "hole" which will accommodate a Peak Design Anchor Loop within the grip.

Its also nigh on a third of the price at £40, here's the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MQ1HFXP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. I got a Peak Design Leash strap to pair with this setup, which is the perfect partner to the camera with grip. The camera feels weightless and the strap is so comfortable even with a 1.2 prime mounted. Here are some pics to illustrate:

Camera Bag

I decided upon a Think Tank Mirroless Mover 30i as the bag for this kit. It'll fit the body with 17mm Pro mounted plus the 45mm Pro and 25mm 1.8 with ease. There is a pocket for a standard iPad plus sufficient pockets for a couple of spare batteries, filters, cards etc plus I can squeeze a Godox TT350 flash in there if needed. All of this kit within the bag, including my iPad, weighs in at a reasonable 3kg (about 6.5lbs):

What's not to like?

The only things I don't like compared to my EM1-2 are the smaller EVF (and I'm a viewfinder shooter) plus like many I wish it was weather sealed. But they are my only gripes. The whole rig is truly a thing of beauty and a joy to use. It's fun!

My first images

As for my first walkabout/street outing yesterday, here are some SOOC Jpegs (with just some clarity added in LR) all shot with the 17mm 1.2 Pro:

BurnImage's gear list:BurnImage's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow