Canon lenses and a7riv

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
SilvanBromide Senior Member • Posts: 3,906
Re: Canon lenses and a7riv

MauriceRR wrote:

I'm looking to buy the new a7riv. I already have a sony a7r first gen + metabones iv + canon lenses.

I'm wondering if I will also need to update my metabones or not.

I can precise that I don't need AF on my canon lenses, manual focus is ok.

Thanks !

MauriceRR

I don't have any inside information to offer, but there are really three parts to the question.

First is physical and mechanical compatibility - and since the mount is the same (FE) I think you can be confident that the adapter and lenses will mount and work (optically) just fine.

Then there is the lens data electronic communication - for EXIF and IBIS FL data etc. Again I think it's a pretty good guess that the protocols will be close enough that the existing MB firmware will likely work with the Riv. If not, I'd be very surprised if there isn't an MB FW update to address it.

Last but not least is the question of AF capability behaviour and accuracy. This area is less certain, since the AF system in the Riv is claimed to have evolved somewhat - so you may not have full  capability (again, unless MB are able to update via FW). However you've said that AF is not a concern for you and MF would suffice, so in that respect I think you have little need to worry.

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
Online Gallery: https://500px.com/raycologon

SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony a6500 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow