HDR in a Suffolk church with RX10iv

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Rachael P
OP Rachael P Contributing Member • Posts: 537
Re: HDR in a Suffolk church with RX10iv

Michael Fritzen wrote:

Hi,

just looking from the technical side I'd be curious to know about the lighting conditions because I'm under the impression that no specific HDR would be necessary. Just shooting RAW with perhaps some slight shadow lifting and certainly some highlight recovery in the windows sections. Perhaps I'm wrong - as a result of a very sensitive HDR processing which doesn't cry out "HDR-processed".

Thanks Michael,

The lighting was partly cloudy outside, but entirely natural lighting indoors -- no artificial light at all. So all the light comes in through the relatively few windows, most of which have stained glass. So fairly low light levels -- autoexposure was about 1/40 at f/4 and ISO 100.   But as you can see in some of the shots, where the light does come in, you get some very bright sunlight patches on the walls. And equally, there are some very dark corners, and the wood is very dark, so that the grain and carving only really show when the exposure is lifted there.

You may well be right about working from a single RAW, although I think it would have to be quite a lot underexposed to retain the details in the stained glass -- something I didn't really manage (see below), and I wonder if the RX10 has the dynamic range needed to recover shadow details once you start from that point. I have tried before in other churches -- see the few below for some shots from Kings Lynn a year or so back, with the same camera, and I agree you can do quite a lot from the RAW, but it's a challenge!

I have never tried HDR before, so just used the bracketing feature. Most of the shots were 5 exposures but typically only 0.7 EV per step. Since I did my research after the fact rather than before, I suspect I didn't make the steps big enough. So that is why the windows tend still to be blown out -- I'll go back next week (if sunny) and do some more experiments.

It's good to keep learning...

-- hide signature --

Rachael

Rachael P's gear list:Rachael P's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R III Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow