A great backup camera

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
moniuch New Member • Posts: 9
A great backup camera

I have been using HX-90 and then HX-90V for a total of almost one year now. I bought the latter when my former refused to work in the middle of my trip to Lisbon. Even though it was still under warranty, I needed a replacement immediately, so I bought its continuator. I didn't have time to shop around or risk any other model. The reason the former stopped to work was some failure of the lens motor.

After years of having DSLR or compact cameras, which represent a substantial item of one's luggage, I decided I was tired of eternal dilemmas: should I take a camera on this or that trip. So I decided to go for a point-and-shoot this time. What I can say is - this is a very satisfying camera to take into your pocket you and have photos way above average. Lot of scenes to choose from, P/A/S/M modes, tilting LCD, 30x zoom, digital viewfinder with adjustable diopter. WiFi/NFC to quickly transfer photos to anywhere. There are cons of course.

- The viewfinder, when retracted, shuts down the camera, meaning - if you are done using it but want to continue taking photos, you will have to turn the camera on again, meaning additional battery and time consumption (= sometimes opportunity gone). It all happens with some delay, so at the beginning I was about to shoot another photo, I was surprised that my camera was closed.

- I have tried taking some macro photos at different settings. It was like 5 cm away from a snail or a bee. The camera couldn't grasp the focus properly despite manually setting the focal point. You could see the camer is capable of grasping the object, as when it swept through the focal length back and forth there was a point where the object was clear. Unfortunately the result of metering process was always poor, the camera ended up focusing at wrong length. The only solution was to move away from the object and use zoom.

- The availability of on-screen battery indicator is very whimsical - sometimes it lights up, sometimes it does not. The indicator has three visible divisions/states. plus a near-exhaust state when it goes red. Over the year of using the camera, I have always been surprised by the battery running out, though.

- There is no RAW writing mode. Which I knew beforehand, but with decreasing brightness at higher zooms, being able to correct the image is often crucial.

- The convenience of the small size comes at a price: with my eyesight degraded a bit, I am having difficulties using this camera at times. It is not about the menu commands being unreadable, it is ok here, it is just an overall eyestrain when I look at the small icons.

- Despite the sports scene, I wasn't able to take a crisp motion picture as advertised.

All in all, when you use an appropriate measure towards this camera, you can be very satisfied. It would be a perfect backup device for a more advanced camera on a landscape shooting trip. Otherwise you will probably be disappointed. There have been many situations where my smartphone took better pictures. There were also many cases where I was glad to have HX-90V with me, mostly because of the 30x zoom.

So now, I will definitely look around for my base camera, to make HX-90V a backup for, something along Canon PowerShot SX70 HS or Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ2500.

moniuch's gear list:moniuch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V
18 megapixels • 3 screen • 24 – 720 mm (30×)
Announced: Apr 14, 2015
moniuch's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
okay
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Canon PowerShot SX70 Panasonic FZ2500 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow