Warning - 400/2.8 GM tripod collar adjustment

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Beatsy
Beatsy Contributing Member • Posts: 648
Warning - 400/2.8 GM tripod collar adjustment

A word of caution. I used my 400GM on a pretty hot day (around 33C/92F) and was continually rotating the camera in the collar to switch between landscape and portrait orientations. I snugged the clamping knob only "gently finger tight" each time.

The following morning there had been a significant temperature drop to <10C and the collar had contracted so much it jammed the clamping knob dead tight and I couldn't undo it by hand at all. I had to get some grips on it and apply quite a lot of force before the screw came loose with a loud and disturbing snap. In hindsight, it would have been better to gently heat the collar - but fortunately there was no damage done.

I now loosen the collar clamp a little when putting the lens away. That screw got so tight, I suspect a bigger temperature change may even risk snapping the collar if it shrinks too much with the screw done up too tight.

I don't know if this happens on the other long primes/zooms, and I've never had it happen on my 70-200GM, but worth checking.

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow