Choosing a new (bridge?) camera setup for videos.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Thom_vee Junior Member • Posts: 33
Choosing a new (bridge?) camera setup for videos.

I've owned a dSLR for about 10 years now. I went through three successive upgrades of the Sony to end up with a Sony A550 with a 500 mm f8 reflex lens, a Minolta 100mm f2.8 Macro lens and a couple of others including 17-35mm, a 70-300mm etc and several flashes.

Over the years though I found myself using the SLR less and less including not touching it for the past two years, mostly because

• my use case was for Birding and Macro photography. However, I have been finding it cumbersome to lug the camera and lenses around on every trip. More so after my son was born and became more limited with space and time.
  • I have shifted more into videos and the A550 did not have video capabilities. Over the last two years I have mainly been into mobile macro photography, using add on lenses and other attachments. I was enjoying this as a mobile phone and its attachments were small enough to be carried around and readily put together for use at a moments notice. Some of my attempts can be seen on my youtube channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5C5ApsmCFMMp8dm6ZZC32A
  • because of the above 2, I have not had much success with bird videography and I miss that.

Last week I sold my A550 body and all the lenses except the 500 mm f8 reflex lens, a Minolta 100mm f2.8 Macro lens with the intention of either one of the below:

1. Replace the A550 with an A68 body with video. Continue with the above lenses.
  2. Replace it with a Sony a6500 mirrorless body, get an Amount to E-mount adapter.
  3. Replace it with a Nikon P1000 (with maybe a Raynox DCR-250 diopter lens) which seems to do great in providing spectacular focal lengths for birding and also great macro capabilities as an All-in-one package that does not need lens changing.

With option 1 (and 2) I continue the handicap of having to lug around multiple lenses and the bulk of the camera. Also it doesnt have the optical image stabilization that could help greatly with Macro videos.

Option 2 works out expensive and has the above limitations.

Option 3 is looking very attractive, considering my needs are more video than photos. However, I went from a bridge camera (sony DSC H9) to the SLR mainly because I was limited by what I could do with it . I fear I might feel constrained again. ( I did consider a Sony RX-10 Mk IV which has a larger 1 inch sensor and only a 600mm zoom, but its too much beyond my budget , as may be the A6500!). Also the P1000 weights about 1.5 Kgs and I may not be inclined to carry that along everywhere?

Any of you have any advice on my jumbled thoughts above? Do you have one of these cameras or combinations and use it in a similar manner? Would you recommend another camera  model? Perhaps a really good bridge camera that would be suitable? Please advise. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

http://naturemagnified..com

Nikon Coolpix P1000 Sony a6500 Sony SLT-A68
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow