Lightroom: Built-in Lens Profile Applied

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 6,366
Re: Lightroom: Built-in Lens Profile Applied

Salah wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

Sailor Blue wrote:

The panel is showing you that your camera has already applied a lens Profile Correction so LR is not doing it. You shouldn't check the Enable Profile Correction box.

If you are using a raw image, then, strictly speaking, some cameras embed the lens profile in the raw file (along with the image data) and LR applies the lens profile itself in the first stage of processing the raw data. That lens profile generally contains distortion and vignetting correction. It sometimes also contains lateral chromatic aberration correction (to see if this is so, just click on the "i" in front of the text "Built-in lens profile applied").

It is also asking if you want to Remove Chromatic Aberration. It is easy enough to check for chromatic aberrations and apply if you find any. Look at edges for green/purple fringing, which is chromatic aberration. Here is some information about chromatic aberration and how to fix it.

Chromatic Aberration - What is Chromatic Aberration? (And How to Fix It in Photoshop or Lightroom)

Chromatic Aberration - Quick Tip: how to precisely detect and remove chromatic aberration in Lightroom - DIY Photography

When I clicked on the "I", I got the following message:

"This raw file contains a built-in lens profile for chromatic aberration. The profile has already been applied automatically to this image."

So should I assume the built-in profile doesn't fix the distortion and vignetting?

I do not know the answer to that.

Of course, if your image shows obvious distortion and vignetting, then it hasn't been fixed.

However, my guess is that most built-in lens profiles do fix distortion and vignetting and the software just doesn't bother to say so.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow