Best gear for a trip

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kcdogger Senior Member • Posts: 2,356
Best gear for a trip

Ok. It’s another one of those “please help me decide” threads. I’m toying with signing up my wife and me for a two week rail and bus tour of some of the US National Parks. We are both 76. I’m not a pro photographer, but am reasonably experienced amateur, and have enjoyed all types of photography for many years. I shoot mostly micro 4/3 now.

So here’s the dilemma. What photo gear to take? I have a couple Olympus OMD EM1 v1s, a very nice OMD EM5 vii, an Olympus 12-40 Pro lens, a 12-100 Pro lens, and a 40-150 Pro lens with 1.4 X teleconverter. I also have a pretty good variety of other Olympus and Panasonic micro 4/3 lenses.

I can go with

1. a small kit of a 9-18, 14-140 (or 14-150 vii) and a fast prime,
  2. a larger kit of the 9-18, 12-40 Pro, and the 40-150 Pro lens, plus 1.4X teleconverter, and fast prime.
  3. A kit consisting of the 9-18, the 12-40 Pro and a 40-150 non-Pro lens, and a fast prime.
  4. The 9-18, 12-100 Pro, and a 100-300 vii lens
  5. Or maybe some other combinations with micro 4/3 lenses. Note: Not planning to get a 7-14, 8-18, nor the 12-60 lens variants at this time – expensive.

I also have original 4/3 lenses – 50 macro, 12-60, 14-54 vii, 50-200 (both ED and SWD) and 1.4X and 2X teleconverters.

THEN a couple of other options come into play. I also have a near new Panasonic FZ1000 (25-400 lens) and a Panasonic ZS 100 (25-250 lens.

If we do the tour, I will go where they go and get the “standard” tourist pictures, so one of the two Panasonics would probably work, but 25 mm at the wide end seems like it might be limiting.  AND, I have the micro 4/3 gear and it is pretty good, so it seems a shame not to use some parts of it at least. There is free time programmed in at most parks, so there is a chance to get away from the group sometimes.  The purpose of the trip is to enjoy the scenery without having to drive, BUT I do want to take some pictures to document the trip and for our kids and grandkids.

I’d enjoy your comments, and yes, I do know the mantra of go light, with minimum of gear. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Peace.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P610 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS100 +21 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow