Unrelenting Power --The Colossus Ever New

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Scott Vail Senior Member • Posts: 1,372
Re: Unrelenting Power --The Colossus Ever New

Kung Fu wrote:

Scott Vail wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

fad wrote:

[Title refers literally to The New Collosus, by Emma Lazarus, affixed to the Statue of Liberty

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

“The New Colossus” by Emma Lazarus (1883)

Metaphorically it applies to both NYC and and the US, that renew themselves with each generation, in an unending race to embrace enlightenment and modernity. In politics, this accelerating power is treated in cartoon fashion both by the president and his enemies. But we lonely observers of the times and the restless tides that wash across our streets see its daily manifestation in a thousand different ways.

I have with some reasonableness been criticized about talking about looking for a luxury car. But I maintain that is a relic of the past when only a few people could own expensive stuff and used that to proclaim their status. We should be beyond that now. Luxury cars are now a dime a dozen. Just look around you. They are as unremarkable as deer in the suburbs. No one should be impressed.

I read an article yesterday that talked about how owning fancy stuff is so available today that the elite are using their moral/political principals, that they would never live by, to show their status. Yesterday a friend of my son who is using his elite education just to be a teacher of German and is studying at the University of Iowa, told us that every parking garage in Iowa City has recharging stations for Teslas. I sounded like Woody Allen when I asked where did they get the money, but he told me that cornfields have warning signs saying that any plants therein are intellectual property and cannot be duplicated. And this modernity and prosperity is the major theme of my photography. Teslas have only had production cars since 2012, but already they have changed the world with the German luxury brands about to introduce competitive models. And an article I read showed that the Tesla Model 3 has a lower total cost of ownership than the Toyota Camry, because of the lower fuel and insurance costs and greater resale value. This is just one small example of how the whole world is changing around us.

We haven't bought a car in 18 years, and now we find that in the US SUV's are the new norm (like mirrorless) and sedans are going the way of dslr's.

Speaking of which, it is not only Fuji and Nikon with the Z's that are adding features with software updates, a la Tesla. I discovered that some light strips I've had for years are Philips Hue strips --which I used to think were ridiculously expensive, but now am putting everywhere. And the Hue app automatically updates lightbulbs and lightstrips when they get added to the app, and keeps the updated. I just got an email for the CEO of their competitor Insteon announcing their new app and their desire to keep up on every front. And so on.

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but just as in the past photography would shine a light on the poor and outcast and the exotically foreign, I think today a light should be shone on our exotically foreign world as it moves forward and poverty recedes, and there is getting to be plenty of plenty of pretty much everything.]

You live in the bubble of prosperity that is white, well off Manhattanites. No everyone does not have a luxury car, and not everyone can afford them. And “poverty recedes” because poor people literally can’t afford to live in NYC anymore.

It would seem to me there are, in fact, a large number of poor people who live in NYC. They may not be living in luxury town homes on Park Av., but they appear to be abundant as depicted by the many posts in this forum.

Scott

You mean the homeless? They may be poor, but their more pressing concerns are mental illness and drug addiction.

Do you live in NYC Scott? I assure you all people of less than 6 figure salaries are moving towards the fringes of the city as we speak.

I said "poor people", did you not read that?  I have no idea of their particular status, homeless or not, but they're photographed and presented as street photography on this forum frequently.  I don't have a clue if they've mental or drug issues, I see images and it's not mine to draw conclusions, other than it's heir apparent that the poor *do* live in NYC.  Check your own post of "Sidewalk Livin'".

Scott

Scott Vail's gear list:Scott Vail's gear list
Nikon D3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow