Ebay strategies?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 10,940
Re: Such nonsense

Mackiesback wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

You say...."Of course you can win against a automatic bidding program"..... but only as long as you are willing to bid the highest possible price.

Just keep bidding, and bid a lot. You surely will win. Then congratulate yourself for "winning" something, even though you could end up paying more for it than simply buying it from Amazon or KEH.

But that isn't the goal of most ebay shoppers. They want to buy something at a very good price, and when you are bidding against a machine that can advance a bid in a fraction of a second, then you are bound for failure and frustration.

Unless of course, you are willing to bid very high, which might be true for you. But if you like doing that, then go for it.

I will continue to shop the buy it now offers. You know, the ones where the seller has to price things slightly lower than Amazon to make a sale. And where I don't have to compete against an autobot.

Different strokes for different folks.

It really is not that different from ,say, a live house auction.

Let's say I instruct my bidder, because I don't want to get emotionally involved, to bid up to 1 million dollars exactly.

Obviously if you are only prepared to bid 980 k for it at some point my bidder will place an offer higher than yours however it will be $500 (or whatever the minimum is) higher than you 900 k maximum.

Of course if no one else was interested an I wasn't there you probably would have had that house for less than you were prepared to pay.

Works the same at Ebay .

it does with one major difference. Live traditional auctions only end when everybody is done bidding, so there is some time for people to let emotions take over. That changes the dynamic overall quite a bit. There was talk a few years ago of changing eBay to a system where the auction wouldn’t end until the term had not been bid on for a predetermined period of time. Never happened of course, I suppose the logistical difficulties outweighed the anticipated increased revenues and potential of general buyer confusion.

In fact if you think about it, auto bids don't have that emotional content of oudbidding someone else live because it is a pre set so it is in fact the opposite of :

Just keep bidding, and bid a lot. You surely will win. Then congratulate yourself for "winning" something, even though you could end up paying more for it than simply buying it from Amazon or KEH.

If that had been implemented it could only result in higher prices taking it further away from the bargain Marty is after.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow