Advice on graphic card

Started Aug 3, 2019 | Discussions thread
OP ales82 New Member • Posts: 23
Re: Your Budget?

John Koch wrote:

To build or customize a PC can be expensive and, unless the motherboard is compatible, prone to problems. Perhaps doable with a desktop. Not advised with a laptop. But maybe you are savvy about all that.

On the other hand, if you want a compact, all-in-one tool, and $2,500 to spare, you might consider something like an MSI P65 Creator 1084. Specs:

Intel Core i7-9750H, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 32GB DDR4, 1TB Teton Glacier SSD

Just be aware that it is in short supply. Version 654, with slightly higher spec, is a bit more expensive, about 2,700. The earlier 8RD-021 version with a GTX 1050 card costs less, around $1,200.

Or, if you hate to wait, and can spend $2,700, maybe an MSI P75 Creator 469. Spec:

Intel Core i9-9880H, NVIDIA GeForce RTX2070, 32GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD

According to one reviewer , the latter beats anything in that price range. It can even handle 8k RAW. The P65, meanwhile, should be able to handle 4k for most editing tasks.

Strangely, the P65 15.6" display is UHD, while the P75 17.3" screen is only 1920x1080. This is a paradox, even though it would be hard to discern the added resolution of the smaller screen without a magnifying glass or by putting one's nose nearly upon the screen.

In my case, there is now way to update my laptop with an older video card would be hard or impossible to upgrade.

Thanks for the advice. Even if I know that MSI makes laptop computers and that they are also quite expensive, I did not know these models from MSI. I searched for them here in Italy/Europe and they are hard to find and also not cheap at all, they are about 3000 euro at least.

It is over my budget, or in case I want to stretch it, for that same amount I can build a very advanced workstation with a professional screen also, including something like a Eizo screen for example. Part of the reason I wand a desktop computer and not a laptop is the monitor: with a desktop you can choose a nice monitor, with 10 bit colors and Adobe RGB color space. These two last specs are almost impossible to find in laptops.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow