Thought on a travel zoom lens that does it all. Well almost.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Minolta_A2 Junior Member • Posts: 29
Thought on a travel zoom lens that does it all. Well almost.

Well known travel zoom lenses are...

Olympus 12-100mm
Panasonic Leica 12-60mm
Panasonic 14-140mm
Olympus 14-150mm
Panasonic 12-60mm

Then a lot of people include wider zoom to complement.

Panasonic Leica 8-18mm
Olympus 7-14mm
Panasonic 7-18mm
Olympus 9-18mm

For me, I brought Olympus 12-100mm and Panasonic Leica 8-18mm when I went to Europe last year. Most of the time, 12-100mm was on the camera and occasionally 8-18mm inside churches or when wider landscapes are preferred. I think I could just use 12-100mm but there were definitely places for 8-18mm.

Now that I have an upcoming trip, I wish there is a lens that "almost" covers both so that switching lenses are not necessary. The lens would be...

• Wide side would be wider than 12mm. 7 or 8mm would be nice but even 9mm would be acceptable which is still considerably wider than 12mm.
  • Tele side would be around 60mm. If it goes to 100mm or even 140mm, that would be better but I don't know about the size.
  • Aperture would be f4 - f5.6. As long as the picture quality and sharpness is in the league of Panasonic 14-140 or Olympus 14-150 which are well praised by many people, it could have a variable aperture.
  • Size would be no bigger than Olympus 12-100mm. Smaller like Panasonic Leica 12-60mm or Panasonic 14-140mm would be ideal but let it be bigger and heavier if it has to be up to Olympus 12-100mm.

So basically, I'm thinking of 8-60mm f4-f5.6 in size of 12-100mm or smaller.

I don't know much about the relationships between those properties and lens size but I know the lens tends to be bigger if it's brighter. Also, I see lots of wide zoom lenses begin wide and end wide(7-14mm, 8-18mm, 9-18mm, 10-25mm, etc) so there might be technical reasons why it's hard to make wide zoom lens that goes more tele "while maintaining the quality".

It would be so nice to go into mountains or places with harsh weather condition with truly one lens that goes wide and tele "enough".

What do you think about this lens? Please feel free to enlighten me.

Minolta_A2's gear list:Minolta_A2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus E-PL9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow