Compact vs ILC for travel and family

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rich Jacobson Regular Member • Posts: 385
Compact vs ILC for travel and family

While I have enjoyed using a variety of mirrorless system cameras and lenses over the past 10 years (m4/3, Fuji And Sony APS-C), I am seriously considering a move to the RX100vii for daily use and our upcoming trip to Italy in October.   Here are the options that I am considering:

1) RX100m7 alone... great AF, good FL range, most likely to take with me in any situation.  Initial results using RX100m6 are good, except for blown highlights in challenging light.  That has been my primary issue with compact cameras I've used in the past  - Canon S90, Oly X-Z1.   Am I going to have white skies forever with the RX100?

2) RX100m7 plus Fujifilm X100F.   Would use the X100F more indoors and when I want to feel more serious about my photography

3) a6400 with 18-135.   Same FL range and AF compared to RX100m7.   Larger, but not really too big or heavy.   Have to consider whether any gains in IQ and versatility (more lenses) would be worth the cost and bulk.   If I go this route, I would likely buy a fast prime and buy or rent the 10-18 for the trip.  Upcoming Sony announcements may be of interest, but likely not available in time for our trip.

Since I am a gearaholic, I also keep looking at other systems such as the G9 with 12-60 and even an EOS RP with 24-240... all less than $2k to start.

I think the key for me will be which system will give me the most reliably good results (AF of fast moving grandkids) and be the most fun to use?

Rich Jacobson's gear list:Rich Jacobson's gear list
Sony RX100 VII
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X100F Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow