Sony A9 great with operational issues.

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Blake Cook
Blake Cook Senior Member • Posts: 2,975
Sony A9 great with operational issues.

The A9 is a fabulous but frustrating camera. It is very fast, has a truly industry leading AF system but operationally it can be a pain in the ass.

Get a few specks of dust on the viewfinder proximity sensor and it will refuse to Auto Switch from viewfinder to the LCD screen. Switch modes and the screen fills with the shooting details that must to be cleared with the shutter or other button before you can take the next shot, frequently losing a shot. I use Back Button AF. When the A9 sleeps, you would expect the BBAF button would wake the camera. It doesn’t. You wake it with shutter button. Try to AF on bird in flight and if you miss the bird, first try, it will crank AF so far out of focus, re-acquiring focus is difficult at best. Sony users probably consider these quirks normal and don’t notice them, but switching back and forth from Canon, they are a nuisance that loose shots.

Colours are not correct to my Canon eye with two of the three lenses I have and only after setting up Lr with Fred Miranda’s colour corrections for the A9. Fred’s settings are better than camera colour calibration. Correct colours with the new 200-600mm was the first thing I noticed.

AF in the right setting is amazing even with 3rd party lenses and Sigma’s adapter. A9 AF with Canon lenses is not as fast, but accuracy and lock-on is superior to the 1DxII and the same lenses. EyeAF is very good, but we’re still waiting for Animal EyeAF. Some of the AF settings are just odd and will acquire everything but the subject. You actually have to switch the lens to manual focus to allow MF. Canon allows manual AF at any time with most lenses.

Ergonomically the A9 is good but some button placement could be better. The Battery Grip really improves A9 feel in hand and is well worth the rather high cost.

I rate it a 4 Stars because of the operational issues. Fix them with firmware and the A9 would be a solid 5 Stars

-- hide signature --

Blake in Vancouver
Canon and Zeiss Stuff. Mac Stuff & annoying PC & Windows stuff.

Blake Cook's gear list:Blake Cook's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a9 +14 more
Sony a9
24 megapixels • 3 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Apr 19, 2017
Blake Cook's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow