Ebay strategies?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 4,570
Re: Auctions have become pointless

Mackiesback wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

Back in the day it was possible to have some fun bidding on ebay auctions. And every once in a while, you ended up getting something you wanted, at a really good price.

But with the advent of auto bid and sniping programs, it has become virtually pointless. It all comes down to "your auto biding program vs mine." Nothing really happens until the last ten seconds of an auction, then a dozen bids get tossed out by the programs and someone wins.

I think most people today just shop the "buy it now" offers. You can't outbid a machine, so why even bother to try?

Of course you can outbid a machine. Just bid more than the max bid of the guy using a sniper. If you bid $100 on an item and his max bid is $90, "machine" or not, you win.

Sounds like you think it's a competition of being the last bid, not the highest. Or you get caught up in the bidding and go higher and higher just to win it and end up overpaying.

Not the smartest way to buy stuff.

I agree. I use auctionStealer and it bids with three seconds to go, which is about as fast as any of em. At that point, it’s highest max bid entered regardless of timing. Works for me as it seems to eliminate half the field of people too thick to figure out a very simple business model.

I also buy vintage lenses from Japan. Those folks are crazy anal about taking good care of their gear over there. I have had the best service from Japanese vendors, seems to be the culture. Some even include treats with the purchase. I wouldn’t buy anything that Nikon won’t service, but for old mf Nikkors I actually seek out Japanese vendors first.

I like vintage MF lenses as well, but was a bit worried about buying from Japan, also the high shipping costs, etc. And they always describe the lenses as "mint" yet stipulate there is dust, often making it sound like the dust might be bad or worse than the usual. Nice to know their lenses are generally in good shape.

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D700 Nikon D5600 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow