200-500 and 200-400 moving forward, e.g., Z.

Started Aug 17, 2019 | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 21,288
Re: 200-500 and 200-400 moving forward, e.g., Z.

olindacat wrote:

This flaw is reduced significantly when I use my lens with a Z6.

I have been asking F shooters about future proofing in an effort to allude to the Z series, inadvertently

This implies the 200-400 AF is good at longer distances  which is true of my first version 200-400.

Resolving power at longer focus distances does not change when you switch bodies.

I find Z AF often works better than F AF - except Z has no cross type AF points intended to read detail parallel to the long dimension of the frame.

The first 200-400 is a zoom, has more elements than any other Nikon lens and predates nano coating. In consequence the lens delivers relatively low contrast compared to the long fast primes.

If you take this into account and accept sometimes you need more contrast or better detail in an AF subject than with some other lenses, I find focus on distant subjects (where subject contrast can be low) to be excellent.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +27 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow