Photographing "atmosphere" - how do you do this?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 9,642
Photographing "atmosphere" - how do you do this?

Apart from carrying an X-T3 I also carried a P20 with me to stay in touch, have storage available, read books - and take photos. I am typically in touch with good friends and family when I travel and must say that on the P20 screen the images often look fantastic!

On one little excursion with our car past Bangli we got to this waterfall at the end of a small "Antilope Canyon"-style walk. There was a lot of spray, water dripping from the internal walls plus the main fall from above. I couldn't see how I could possibly take any photos with the camera as the front filter was full of little droplets, focusing wasn't possible, so I put the camera away and took some pics with the P20. Here is one:

On a larger screen the image appeared to be more meh than ahhhh ... but it made me think about how I capture "atmosphere" or certain moods.

Here is a little selection of pics as to what I mean. I don't think that any of the images answers the question as to how to capture atmosphere, so I thought I would ask here how "one" or "you personally" do this. I am aware that the term is blurry-as, but why not try to circle around it? Bob Tullis posts rainy shots from New York now and again and I think he might be onto something in this respect.

Thanks

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EMV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow